Quick facts about Twitter
According to the World Wide Worx report on the South African Social Media Landscape 2014;
- Twitter has 284 million monthly active users, but the number of registered accounts is much higher, there are some 2 billion registered Twitter accounts, according to Twopcharts.
- Twitter saw the highest percentage growth among the major social networks, in South Africa - from 2,4-million to 5,5million – showing 129% growth in the last 12 months.
- In South Africa, no less than 85% of Twitter users are accessing the tool on their phones.
- South African corporations reveal that 79% of them are using Twitter (after Facebook – 93%)
- South Africa’s top 50 brands also reveal that they each have an average of 12,785 followers, with an average of 1,856 mentions a month. (The downside is that the average response time for these brands addressing customer issues on Twitter, is 271 minutes).
- The most followed Twitter brand is YouTube with 46 million followers.