Opening a Twitter Account For Your Organisation: A Step by Step Guide
Every organisation needs a multi-dimensional online footprint, so it’s necessary to consider a Twitter account to make your organisation's work and impact go much further.
Twitter is useful in allowing people to easily keep informed about your work and activities -- it's a lot easier to read a quick 140-character tweet than to follow newsletters or lengthy blog-posts. On the management side it can easily be automated with software like Hootsuite and Tweetdeck. A Twitter feed can also be added as a widget on your website so people can view it without actually logging into Twitter.
1. Go to the web address https://twitter.com/
2. As a new user you will need to sign up for an account. To do so, you will be required to fill out these details.
- Full Name: Put the name of your organisation
- Email: It’s best to use a general address that your organisation uses
- Password: Use a secure password but at the same time keep it simple for all members who will be using the account
- Click on "sign up for twitter"
3. From there you will be taken to a page titled “Join Twitter Today” where you will be required to fill out more information.
- Full Name: The name of your organisation will do
- Email address: Same as the one you entered on the first page
- Password: This should already be filled in
- Choose your username: you will be given a few suggestions but make sure you use something that is easy to remember, something that stands out. Avoid using numbers in the user name, you want people to easily be attracted to your page.
- Tick to agree to the Twitter terms and conditions.
- Click on “create my account”
The next page will allow give you several people to follow. (You can skip this page.)
If you click on the “home” icon on the top left corner of your page you will be taken to a page that looks like this:
From here you can customise your account and add more details. To do this you will have to click on the settings cog, on the right hand side of the search bubble. A drop down menu will appear and “settings” is second from the bottom.
The first thing you can edit is your account, and here, if you want to add another email address or change the name you can do so.
To further edit your profile, click on the area with the name of your organisation and “view my profile”.
The page you will go to will allow you to change your avatar and also add a short description, if you click on “edit profile”.
- A pop-up box will appear and if you click on the + sign you can add your avatar. Use your logo for this.
- Next click on the text below your Twitter handle to add a quick description about your organisation.
- Below that, you can add your location and your website.
Now you're on your way to joining the Twittersphere! Don't forget to follow @nponetwork and send us a tweet!